Archive for March, 2008

cups woes

Tuesday, March 4th, 2008

I just tried to get cups working and had the following problem:

I have a Lexmark Optra E+ parallel port printer and usually cups shows the parallel port as Device: on the second configuration screen. Only this time cups did not recognize the parallel port. lptest > /dev/lpt0 worked fine, just cups could not see the parallel port.

After about half an hour I finally found the solution:

# ls -l /dev/lpt0
crw——-  1 root  wheel    0,  57 Mar  4 20:00 /dev/lpt0

The rights on /dev/lpt0 were not set correctly. After changing them, everything worked fine:

# chmod 666 /dev/lpt0
# ls -l /dev/lpt0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  57 Mar  4 20:00 /dev/lpt0

Always compile audacious with dbus

Tuesday, March 4th, 2008

When I compiled audacious without dbus support yesterday I did not know it would break all application options (i.e. entering audacious -f on a shell skips to the next track) . Today I read a bit in the audacious sources and found that it has to be compiled with dbus support in order to work.

k3b on FreeBSD

Tuesday, March 4th, 2008

Today I configured k3b on FreeBSD. The building from ports works fine (although it took almost all morning. But then again k3b depends on most of KDE ;-)).

Turns out all I had to do was to enable the ATAPI/CAM Driver: link

Running ion3 on FreeBSD

Sunday, March 2nd, 2008

I just started to try out FreeBSD 7.0 (I am very impressed so far) and ran into huge problems installing my favorite window manager ion3 . Apparently the main developer had some trouble with various distribution maintainers and forbade then to ship ion (link).

After some try and error (and a pointer in the right direction by Markus) I finally figured out how to tweak the system.mk to make ion3 compile.

I had to change the following things:

  • install to $(HOME)/ion (you have to create this directory first)
  • comment DL_LIBS=-ldl (as this lib seems to be part of the FreeBSD libc anyway)
  • Set the path for lua 5.1
  • uncomment DEFINES =+ -DCF_NO_LOCALE -DCF_NO_GETTEXT

Attached: system.mk